HEALTH AND AYAHUASCA
It is important that we inform you about health and Ayahuasca intake. If you don’t use any medication or drugs, or have any disorders of physical or psychological order, Ayahuasca can be considered completely safe and nothing bad can happen. Ayahuasca cannot cause dependency, specially because of the intensity of the experiences involved. Strictly following the prescribed diet and preparation are important in order to make the most out of your experience. Some types of medication, sicknesses of the body and mind, drugs and other types of narcotics can come in strong conflict with the MAO-inhibitor present in Ayahuasca. This can have serious consequences for your health. Because of this, it is important that you read the information below. In here you can find everything about all the contra-indications associated with the use of Ayahuasca. Please make sure to always inform us about any medications you are currently using, or in case you are unsure if anything is permitted, en always fill the intake formulier you’ll receive from us with absolute honesty.
Which are the contra-indications?
Do you use medication? Always let us know in advance. If in doubt, you can also consult your doctor and / or contact us.
Severe kidney disease, unstable diabetes mellitus, epilepsy, severe neurological disorders, hypertension, cardiovascular disease (eg angina pectoris), brain bleeding and CVAs, an actual or expected feochromocytoma (adrenal swelling), blood dysfunction (abnormal blood cells).
Instable mental disorders such as schizophrenia, psychosis and borderline.
Is there someone in your close family that has a mental disorder? Let us know.
The use of Ayahuasca is dangerous when having a mental disorder such as being bi-polar or having schizophrenia. When you are experiencing delusions, hallucinations, paranoid thought of other psychosis-related indications, then the use of these plants is forbidden. Everyone with close family that have a mental disorder are not suided for ceremony as well. This could trigger a ‘sleeping disorder’.
There are different opinions about pregnancy and the use of Ayahuasca. We choose not to allow pregnant women or breastfeeding women to attend the ceremonies.
Medications that really should not be used together with Ayahuasca are antidepressants (Serotonin reuptake inhibitors – SSRIs). These may NOT be used 6 weeks before an Ayahuasca ceremony.
Do you want to lower on medication doses and stop for a ceremony? Always do this under the guidance of a doctor. Decreasing and stopping yourself can be dangerous.
SSRis such as:
citalopram (Cipramil®) – escitalopram (Lexapro®) – fluoxetine (Prozac®) – fluvoxamine (Fevarin®) – paroxetine (Seroxat®) – sertraline (Zoloft®)but also Serotonin noradrenaline reuptake inhibitors, such as: Venlafaxine (Efexor) – Duloxetine (Cymbalta)And also TCA, tricyclic antidepressants, such as: – mitriptyline (Tryptizol®) – clomipramine (Anafranil®) – imipramine – nortriptyline (Nortrilen®)
Benzodiazepines such as:
These are tranquillizers.They reduce anxiety. In some cases also physical complaints that are the result of anxiety. These too can not be used 6 weeks before the ceremony.Some examples of medicine names are:- oxazepam (Seresta), – diazepam (Valium) – alprazolam (Xanax)
Other brands and alternative such as:
All brands and types of anti-depressants and so also the herb Kanna (Sceletium tortuosum) and Valerian should not be used.
Other medications, than described above, that are dangerous or can cause severe headaches:
• Anti-asthmatic agents• Medications for high blood pressure: (methyldopa, guanethidine, reserpine)• Buspiron• Levodopa• Opoids (especially dextromethorphan (included in cough syrup), tramadol)morphine and codeine• Medication for colds, stuffy nose and cough drinks (if they havedextromethorphan or sympathomimetics in it) (Otrivin® et al.)• Sibutramine (anti-obesity medicine)• Sympathomimetics. (amphetamines, cocaine, methylphenidate (Ritalin®, Concerta®and Equasym®), dopamine, adrenaline, norepinephrine, isoproterenol)• L-tryptophan. | Triptophan.• Sleeping medication• Blood pressure reducing medication
The following medications can be used, but with the necessary caution (so preferably not):
• Anticholinergic agents (biperiden) • Antihistamines (mainly used in allergies (hay fever) • Disulfiram • Bromocriptine • Hydralazine • Migraine medication
Do you use alternatives medicines or nutritional supplements? These can also be dangerous.
– Do not use products containing St. John’s Wort (also called “Hypericum perforatum”, a natural or herbal remedy for the treatment of mild depression.
– Products containing tryptophans (triptophanes) (used for sleep problems and depression) Do not use. (see also bananas, avocados, mango and raisins see diet).Let us know in advance.
The use of the following drugs, within 7 days before the start of the ceremony is prohibited:
• Marijuana • Methadone • LSD • Cocaine • Heroin • Amphetamines (speed) • MDMA (XTC) • Ketamine • Mescaline cacti (Peyote and San Pedro) • Anesthetics • Ephedra / ephedrine (Xtenzion, ultra boost, Superstacker, Ephedra Supercaps, etc. ) • Pseudoephedrine • Macromerin • Phentermine
• Plant medicine Iboga (After Iboga, one can not take Ayahuasca for at least 6 weeks)
• All other mind-expanding drugs that are not on this list
Important: Once again; this tea is definitely not suitable if you use any form of antidepressants. The combination of SSRIs and MAO inhibitors is life-threatening.
Exclusion from participation:
For your and our safety, AyaCura reserves the right to refuse everyone (yet) to participate in the ceremonies on the information provided by you during the preliminary stage. In case of doubt, it may be that we need advice or written permission from a treating physician / therapist. The growing interest in Ayahuasca has shown that there are people who are not sufficiently prepared and do not realize what they are doing. When we feel that you are insufficiently prepared, we will invite you to participate a ceremony at another time